Talking Book Library - Services
The Talking Book Library offers a full range of library services including reference on disability issues, free loan of videos with audio descriptions for the visually impaired, low vision aids and talking computers for in-house use and demonstration, and the like. Call the library at (727) 441-9958 for more information. If you reside in the 941 area code, you may reach the library toll-free by calling (866) 619-9568.
The following brief tips should add to your enjoyment of talking books and make it easier for staff to serve you effectively.
- Please direct all requests for books and magazines to the Pinellas Talking Book Library. The return address listed on the back of your bimonthly Talking Book Topics catalog is for a national distribution center that does not handle client services.
- If you prefer to order specific titles, strive to maintain at least 50 requests on your request list to ensure uninterrupted service.
- Bring the digital book machine to the phone if possible when you call with machine problems.
- Keep the library informed of any address changes or if you desire to stop or resume the mailing of books.
- If a digital cartridge malfunctions, place a rubber band or string around the cartridge and place it in the mailing container. Call the library to request another copy of the book if you wish to finish the story.
- Do not put notes or requests in a returned book. To ensure that we receive communications, mail notes and requests in their own envelope.
What happens when you have exhausted all the books in our collection by your favorite authors? The library staff is trained in reader advisory techniques to help you find books and authors with characteristics similar to those you have enjoyed in the past.
Assistive Devices (AD)
People with disabilities have options for adapting computers and telecommunications devices to their needs. The Talking Book Library has assistive devices available for demonstration in the library and access to print and electronic information on AD products.
Book discussions are held monthly. The in-person meetings are on the first Thursday of each month from 10am-11:30am, and are held at the Lighthouse of Pinellas at 6925 112th Circle North, Suite 103, Largo, FL 33773. The phone-in meetings are held on the second Tuesday of each month from 10am-11am. Call us for the conference phone number and code.
The National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped maintains a music section that clients can reach directly via a toll-free number. Recorded music is not available; however, musical scores in large print and braille, instruction for voice, piano, guitar, and other instruments on digital cartridge, and related materials are included in the collection. Call the Music Section at 1-800-424-8567, and press or say 1. Call us if you would like a brochure and sample scores mailed to you.
Library users may subscribe to popular magazines, such as Sports Illustrated, Good Housekeeping, and Ebony. Contact the library for more details.