Welcome to the Reading with the Rays program!
Summer vacation has arrived, and with it comes baseball season! That means it is time to stretch your body and mind. Playing games and sports is a great way to exercise your body during the summer so you can be strong and healthy for the next school year.
Keeping your mind strong and healthy is important, too. The best way to exercise your brain is by reading.
Tampa Bay Rays baseball players know the importance of staying healthy and strong and keeping their minds active. That is why the Rays, the Tampa Bay Times Newspaper in Education program, Tampa Bay area library systems and Suncoast Credit Union have teamed up to encourage and reward students for reading.
The Reading with the Rays program will encourage you to read more this summer and to visit the library regularly before you return to school in August. By reading books this summer, Charlotte, Citrus, Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk and Sarasota county students in can circle the bases - first, second, third and home - and collect prizes as they go.
All students in grades K-12, in Charlotte, Citrus, Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellass, Polk and Sarasota counties, are eligible to participate.
The rules of the Read Your Way to the Ballpark game are simple.
The rules of the Read Your Way to the Ballpark game are simple. Get your game card at your library.
- Go to your local library to get your game card.
- Choose your favorite books from your local library or select your favorite section of the Tampa Bay Times to read over the summer.
- As you read, track your hours by rounding the bases and collect Rays rewards along the way. Students in grades K-12 may participate in the program. There are suggested books listed in the Reading with the Rays Newspaper in Education publication and there are book lists on the Just Read section of this web page.
- When you read enough hours to get on first base, ask your parent or guardian to initial your card and bring to your local library. The librarian will sign your card, put a sticker on the base and give you a reading reward.
- Round the bases by reading a total of 24 hours this summer and receive a voucher for two tickets to a Rays game!
- On the back of the card, keep track of your favorite books and articles you read this summer.
On the back of the card, keep track of your favorite books and articles you read this summer. Read around the bases — 24 hours total!
Read 3 hours to get from Home Plate to First Base
Reward: Receive a Rays jelly bracelet
Read 5 more hours to get from First to Second Base
Reward: Receive a Rays arm sleeve
Read 7 more hours to get from Second to Third Base
Reward: Receive a Rays water bottle
Read 9 more hours to get from Third Base to Home Plate
Reward: Receive a voucher for two tickets to a Rays home game (See back of game card for redeemable game dates and order form, based upon availability).