Literacy Council of Upper
Dunedin Public Library
223 Douglas Avenue, Dunedin, FL 34698
Phone: (727) 298-3080 ext 242
FAX: (727) 298-3088
Contact Person:Pat Bauer, President
Internet Address: http://www.lcup.net
The Literacy Council of Upper Pinellas, Inc. is a non-profit volunteer organization dedicated to teaching adults (age 16 and older) literacy skills using individualized curricula to enhance their self esteem, increase occupational and social opportunities and to enrich lifestyles. We serve Clearwater, Dunedin, Largo, Oldsmar, Palm Harbor, Safety Harbor, and Tarpon Springs.
Services provided for the adult learner:
- Basic Literacy for native English speakers needing help in enhancing their reading and writing abilities
- ESOL (English for speakers of other languages) tutoring for those needing help in speaking, reading and writing English as well as understanding American culture
- Test preparation assistance for those students taking the GED, TESOL, citizenship, or other exams
- Health literacy outreach in the community
Instructional materials include:
- Reading Horizons web-based phonics program
- Staying Healthy curriculum
- Living in Pinellas
- Everyday materials relevant to the student's goals such as newspapers, manuals, and books
- Workbooks and instructional materials from New Readers Press
Literacy Volunteer Tutor Training:
We offer tutor orientation several times a year at area libraries. You will be introduced to best practices in adult education using the Just In Time training program. We also provide continuing training in-service as you progress with a student.
All tutoring is free and confidential. To register as a student or to volunteer as a tutor, please call the LCUP Office at 298-3088, ext. 242.