Largo Public Library Computer Use and Reference Policies
Largo Public Library Computer and Internet Use Policy
A valid library card in good standing (fines and/or fees under $10.00) is required to access the Internet/word processing computers at the Largo Public Library.
For guests who do not qualify for a library card, a visitor computer card is available. Access is provided for two hours per patron per day. Access time
can be extended in increments of 30 minutes at the discretion of the librarian dependent upon computer availability. Using someone else's library card
for computer access is prohibited. Doing so will result in the cardholder losing their library card privileges. All terminals automatically shut down ten
minutes before the Library closes. Please plan to print or save your work before that time. The Library is not responsible for any data lost when the
computers shut down.
- Patrons are reminded that it is illegal to do the following, and violators are liable for prosecution
Patrons are required to
- alter, damage, or install hardware or software, or to disrupt or interfere with other computer systems or networks;
- misrepresent yourself by access code, password, or signature;
- violate the legal protection of copyrighted software;
- display obscene materials to minors or print such materials.
Internet / Computer Usage Disclaimers
- respect the privacy of others;
- refrain from displaying material others might reasonably consider offensive;
- abide by time limitation;
- vacate terminal immediately when asked to do so by a staff member;
- Pay 10 cents per page for black / white prints;
- Pay 50 cents per page for color prints.
Parents are required to assume responsibility for their children's use of the Internet.
- The Largo Public Library shall not be responsible for any direct, indirect, or consequential damages resulting from information accessed or input through the Largo Public Library's Internet computers;
- The Largo Public Library is not responsible for damage to users' disks, loss of data, or any other liabilities that may occur when using the Library's computers;
- The Largo Public Library staff can only provide a minimal amount of assistance on the Internet. Users unfamiliar with the Internet should consult the Reference staff for instructional materials.
- The Largo Public Library is not responsible for minors' unauthorized use of adult library cards, or for failure of the Internet filter to block Web sites;
- The Largo Public Library is not responsible if the technology provided by the Library's computers does not meet the specific needs of an individual
Specific Rules for Specific Areas of the Library
- Children are defined as legally dependent minors the ages 4 - 12, and Teens as 13 - 17, who live in your home.
- Children may only use Internet access computers located in the Children's area.
- Teens may use computers outside Teen Room.
- Computer Lab: The purpose of the computer lab is educational. Chat Rooms and Games are blocked from the computers.
- Largo / Mid-Pinellas Chamber of Commerce Small Business and Career Resource Center: Chat Rooms and Games are blocked from the computers.
- Second Floor Reference and Genealogy Center: Chat Rooms and Games are blocked from the computers.
- Youth Services - Children's Area: Computers are reserved for children 4 to 12 years of age. Children who are 4 to 6 years old must be attended by an adult who is either their parent, guardian, or caregiver while using the computer. Chat Rooms and Instant Messaging are blocked. Some educational games are available.
- Youth Services - Teen Room: Computers are reserved for teens 13 to 17 years of age. Two of the five computers are reserved for school work and have word processing. Games and Chat Rooms are available on three of the five computers.
Violation of the Internet Policy or unacceptable behavior in regard to Internet use will result in suspension of use for one month. The patron waives the right to make a claim against the Largo Public Library, its employees, trustees, officers or agents arising from the mis-use of the Internet.
- TDD Line for the hearing impaired
- Wheelchair and motorized scooter
- Extensive large print and audio book collections
- Magnifying and listening devices
Please see the Largo Public Library Website for more information.