Welcome to the Reading with the Rays program!
With baseball season and summer in full swing, the Tampa Bay Times Newspaper in Education department has partnered with the Tampa Bay Rays and the libraries in Citrus, Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas and Polk counties for a fun and exciting summer.
Reading with the Rays will encourage you to read more this summer and to visit the library regularly before you return to school this fall. By reading books this summer, Citrus, Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas and Polk county elementary school students in grades three through five can circle the bases - first, second, third and home - and collect prizes as they go.
Make it all the way around to home and your ultimate reward is a ticket to see the Rays in action at Tropicana field!
Click here to download the Reading with the Rays Flyer
The rules of the Read Your Way to the Ballpark game are simple.
- Choose your favorite books from your local library or select your favorite section of the Tampa Bay Times to read over the summer.
- Go to your local library to get your game card.
- As you read, track your hours by rounding the bases and collect Rays rewards along the way.
- When you read enough hours to get to first base, ask your parent or guardian to initial your card; then bring it to your local library.
- The librarian will initial your card and give you a reading reward.
- Round the bases by reading a total of 24 hours this summer and receive a ticket to a Rays game!
- Although this program is focused on students in grades 3 through 5, all students in grades Pre-K through 12 can participate.
On the back of the card, keep track of your favorite books and articles you read this summer. Read around the bases — 24 hours total!
Read 3 hours to get from Home Plate to First Base
Reward: Reading with the Rays poster featuring Evan Longoria
Read 5 more hours to get from First to Second Base
Reward: Reading with the Rays jelly bracelet
Read 7 more hours to get from Second to Third Base
Reward: Evan Longoria arm sleeve
Read 9 more hours to get from Third Base to Home Plate
Reward: Reading with the Rays certificate authorized by Evan Longoria and voucher redeemable for one complimentary ticket to a 2014 Rays regular season home game (select dates and restrictions apply).
In order to receive your one (1) free Rays upper deck ticket:
Bring your completed game card to the Tropicana Field box Office. In order to receive the desired game and seat location, it is best to redeem this card prior to the day of game.
Mail to: Tropicana Field, Attn: Reading with the Rays
One Tropicana Drive, St. Petersburg, FL 33716
Mail orders received within seven days of respective game of choice will be left at Will Call, Gate 4.
*Up to two (2) additional upper deck tickets may be purchased with $2 off each with this card when redeeming for free ticket. All seat locations and games offered are based upon availability. Tickets are subject to day of game fee, applicable within 5 hours of first pitch. This offer is not subject to ticket upgrade.